Sunday, August 28, 2011

went from "in a relationship" to "single" to "in a relationship"...

Hey folks,

You know what bugs me? When people on facebook post a live feed of all the current developments in their new relationship. It shouldn't bug me of course. It doesn't concern me really, or shouldn't concern me at least. And I swear that it's not that I'm bitter about being single. :) (I'm honestly not!) The issue I have with it is that relationships are personal. They're supposed to be about you and that other person. It's not that you don't have to share it with world, and it's not that none of us are interested. I just think it's good for you and your bf/gf to have some sense of privacy.

When you change your relationship status to "in a relationship" ten minutes after your first date, change it to "single" two days later, and then soon back "in a relationship" with the same person, I can't help but wonder what would happen if you put more energy into cultivating your relationship, and not as much into making sure the world knew about every advance and recession. Facebook relationship statuses make things look final. Seriously, you are not obligated to let us know everything about your relationship. It's okay! We won't mind. I would much rather you were happily focused on your relationship, and not spending your effort making sure that we are focused on your relationship.

Peace.
Dan

No comments: