Thursday, August 27, 2009

New flute!

I have some pretty exciting news!
What could possibly be in this case?

Ooh, I know!

It's a brand new Miyazawa...

Flute!

And it's mine!

Ain't it pretty?


You get a mini lesson about flutes now. This is the end part of the flute. It's called the "foot". See the three circular keys? This is a B Foot. My old flute only had two keys on the foot and so it was a C Foot. With the extra key, you get an extra note! Flute music never really goes below the B, so with this flute, I can play pretty much all the flute music written! (Theoretically, of course, I'm not technically capable yet. :P)


This flute is also an open hole flute. That means that the flutes have a hole in the middle of them, as shown by the photo below. Open hole flutes are quite a bit tougher to play, but give a lot more room for different tone colours, pitch control etc.

Now, I've never played open-hole before, so until I get used to it, I use plugs that basically make the flute just like a closed-hole model. The plugs are just like little silicone blobs that you push into the keys.

More photos...


Sterling silver lip plate!


So that's my new flute! I absolutely love everything about it. I love the tone, and and the action of the keys, just everything about it! I tried out a lot of different flutes, and this one really "clicked" for me. We have a good relationship. :)
So, I hope you enjoyed this, and learned a thing or two about flutes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Dan!!

I know how exciting it is to get a new instrument. I'm suprised you were able to go on your trip at all (or did you bring it with you?? :0))

-you'll never guess