Sunday, August 2, 2009

So as you know, I just got back from a few days in the mountains. I would like to write a little bit about something that I was thinking about while I was there. I don't expect that it will make much sense, as I'm very confused about it myself and I don't know the answer to it at all.
Hmm, it seems like I ask waaay more questions on this blog than I answer... But I suppose it's true that:


"The unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as the unquestioned answers." (Anonymous)

Being in the mountains, I felt very, very small. It was wonderful in some ways, because I felt like all of my problems and concerns were all so insignificant and unimportant to the planet in general. I'm just one small person in the entire universe. It was refreshing.

On the other hand, I'm the only thing in the entire universe that I can control. So is it better to focus on the fact that the universe will go on without you and that your problems are insignificant in the scheme of things, or to focus on the idea that you and your problems are the only things you can control and focus on working on you and not thinking about the universe?

I guess that the best thing is to find a medium between them both- realizing that you can only control yourself, but working on bettering yourself so that you may have an influence on others.

Thoughts anyone?

Daniel, thinking out loud.


1 comment:

Nicole said...

I know what you mean. I get the same feeling when I look at that famous "blue dot" photograph from space. It's this tiny dot (Earth) in a beam of sunlight, and it's like..."Oh my gosh. This is everything we've ever known, and everyone we've ever known, all on in one little dot. That's how tiny we are. It's sort of scary, but there's something refreshing (like you said) about it. And yeah, I agree it's about finding a balance. Can't express more than that...the rest of my thoughts are jumbled. But anyway, great post!